Admitted Student Checklist - Spring/Fall Reentry

Follow these steps to guide you through our enrollment process. Be sure to keep track of your deadlines for financial aid and housing. Contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment with any questions.

1. Accept your offer of admission

Log into the My UW student portal to accept/decline your offer of admission in the Student Center.

  • Click on the triangle next to “Admissions” to expand the section.
  • Select the “Accept/Decline Admission” link and follow the instructions it gives you to officially confirm. Reentry applicants do not need to pay the $100 enrollment deposit. You will not be able to register for classes until you complete this step. If you apply and are admitted after the enrollment appointment times, it may take up to the next business day to receive an enrollment assignment after you accept your admission in your Student Center
  • If this is your first time logging in, you must activate your NetID. Your Student Center also gives you access to other personalized information, including your financial aid package.

2. Submit your residency information

If you submitted your reentry application through My UW, you should have also completed the Residency Application through the “Reentry Application” tab in My UW. This is necessary for registration.

3. Course enrollment information

Depending when you apply for reentry admission, course registration may or may not be available to you yet. The Enrollment Appointment Times Release Schedule through the Office of the Registrar will show exactly when enrollment dates and times will be released, as well as the specific enrollment dates students will be assigned to in accordance with their class standing. If you have questions about course registration or class standing, contact the Office of the Registrar at 608-262-3811.

If you have questions about what courses you should select for the upcoming year, contact an advisor in your department.

4. International students applying for an I-20

Read about obtaining your student visa to learn more about what to expect next to secure your visa, and check out our FAQs about the I-20 process. International Student Services also provides a Guide for International Students with more information. The university needs to receive the following documents in order to process your visa paperwork:

  • Submit the Financial Verification Form with an official bank letter showing sufficient funds on deposit for one year of study. Please note, funding in the form of stocks, bonds, securities, valuations, or beneficiary/insurance certificates are not acceptable. The funding must be in cash deposit form. If you need help completing it, refer to the financial verification form instructions.
  • Complete the Student Visa Information and Mailing Form and include a photocopy of the pages in your passport that show your identity and full legal name.

5. Apply for financial aid

Financial aid could include scholarships, grants, on-campus Work-Study jobs, and student loans. All US citizens and permanent residents should follow instructions provided by the Office of Student Financial Aid to file for federal student aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which is available online beginning October 1. Remember to list the UW–Madison FAFSA code of 003895. International students should review a list of scholarships and grants provided by International Student Services.

6. Submit your final transcripts

If you attended another institution since you were last enrolled at UW–Madison, you must submit official transcripts for each college or university. The transcripts should include all college-level course work completed to date and your current term in progress, if applicable. Request that it is sent directly to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. You do not need to resubmit your high school transcript or a college transcript for course work already recorded on your UW–Madison transcript.

Credit evaluations will be made within the following timelines:

  • If the transcript is received in the Office of Admissions and Recruitment by September 15, the transfer credit will be applied to your record before spring course enrollment.
  • If the transcript is received by February 15, the course work will be applied to your record before fall course enrollment.

7. Explore university housing

University Residence Halls are open to reentry students who want to live on campus. Review the University Housing website for availability, fees, and application deadlines to secure the type of living arrangement that best fits your needs.