Transfer Application Materials

Take note of our deadlines and notification periods. Submit the following to apply:

1. Admissions Application

The online application allows you to save your work as you complete it and ensures secure delivery to our office.

2. Application Fee

The application fee is $50.00 US and is non-refundable.

  • The fee can be paid by credit card (MasterCard or Visa) or Debit/ATM card via the application portal.
  • Alternately, the fee can be paid by check or money order, drawn on a US bank and payable to the University of Wisconsin–Madison. Send the check or money order to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. Please include the applicant's name with payment.
  • Do not send cash.

If your last institution attended is one of the two-year University of Wisconsin Colleges, you do not have to pay the application fee.

A limited number of application fee waivers are available for applicants with financial hardship. To request a waiver of the application fee, print this form PDF and submit it to your school official for verification of hardship and signature. Send the completed form to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. Your request will be reviewed and a decision will be made regarding waiver of the fee.

3. Official Transcripts

High School: We require official transcripts, which need to be sent to us by your high school. We review your high school record to check for proof of graduation, the completion of core preparation requirements, and to learn more about your educational background. High school grades will play a more important role in the admission review for applicants who have completed fewer transferable college credits.

If you have earned your General Educational Development (GED) certificate or a High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), you will need to submit your official score report in addition to the high school transcript.

College: Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions. The transcripts should include all college-level course work completed to date, including your current term in progress, and (if applicable) college classes taken while in high school.

An official transcript must be delivered to our office in a sealed envelope or through an electronic secure document sending service. If a paper copy is delivered, the transcript must bear an official school seal or be printed on the school's custom watermarked/security paper. If an email is sent with a transcript as an attachment, it will not be accepted as official.

International applicants can find country-specific official transcript requirements here.

4. Two Written Statements

We ask you to answer the following questions on the online application, each in the form of a short essay. Review our list of tips for the written statements as you prepare your responses. Both are required for all domestic and international applicants.

  1. Consider something in your life you think goes unnoticed and write about why it's important to you.
  2. Tell us why you decided to apply to the University of Wisconsin–Madison. In addition, share with us the academic, extracurricular, or research opportunities you would take advantage of as a student. If applicable, provide details of any circumstance that could have had an impact on your academic performance and/or extracurricular involvement.


Statement Prompt for adult applicants:

Write a brief statement introducing yourself and focusing on your reasons for attending college. Consider including any of the following information (if applicable):

  • Current level of responsibilities that could demonstrate your ability to be a successful student, including job, community, and/or family experiences
  • Career goals
  • Work experiences
  • Reasons your previous educational records may not reflect your current abilities

5. Letter(s) of Recommendation

Though not required, we would like to see at least one recommendation from someone who can attest to your collegiate academic ability. Other recommendations might come from an employer, coach, research mentor, or community leader. Remember that quality is better than quantity, and a total of two is sufficient. Request that your recommenders use our online recommendation form. If they choose to email or send your recommendation by postal mail to our office, please make sure they include your full name, birth date, and campus ID number (if known). Additionally, letters of recommendation from a staff member of your school may also be sent through Naviance.

6. Official Test Scores

Scores from either the ACT or the SAT are not required of transfer applicants. However, if you've taken either test, we encourage you to provide us with your scores. Your results will be considered as supplemental academic information and may help strengthen your application. Please note that the writing portion of the ACT is no longer required. Test scores should be sent directly from the testing service. Our test code is 4656 for the ACT and 1846 for the SAT. Do not send your results rush (SAT) or priority (ACT); we receive all scores electronically on a daily basis so there is not an advantage to rush or priority delivery.

Transfer applicants from non-English speaking countries must submit a TOEFL or IELTS score, unless they have completed a college level English composition course at a US college or university. Our TOEFL test code is 1846. TOEFL must be submitted electronically from the testing service. We do not accept the IELTS electronically. Please have a paper copy of your results sent to our office through the mail. If you feel that you qualify for a TOEFL or IELTS waiver, please send an email to our office and a counselor will determine if the waiver criteria are met.

We do not accept scanned or emailed copies of A-level results. In order to have your advanced standing credits posted, you should have the official certificates sent to you through the mail. You will need to hand-deliver them to our office, and we will make a copy, which will be considered official. During the application review process, we will ask to see your provisional results slips, along with official results from IGCSE or AS level exams if applicable. These can be sent to our office from your school.