Forms and Fact Sheets

Application Resources

Letter of Recommendation Form
If you apply using the UW System Application, your recommender can use our online recommendation form. This system allows you to request letters from each of your chosen contacts. By creating a log in and entering your information, your recommender will receive an email with a link to upload a letter to our office. Those who apply using the Common Application should request a recommendation through that system.

Application Fee Waiver Request (PDF)
The application fee may be waived in cases of exceptional need. Students who apply using the UW System Application should print the fee waiver request form and ask their counselor/advisor to submit it to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. Students who apply using the Common Application may request a fee waiver while filling out their application. If the College Board or the ACT grant you a fee waiver, we will accept it.

Application Tips
Tips for starting the application process.

Admission Decision Information

Enrollment Deposit Form (PDF)
In order to secure your place in the upcoming class, we must receive your enrollment deposit. Use this form instead of the online Student Center if you intend to pay by check or money order, you are requesting a waiver due to financial hardship, or you do not need to pay the deposit since you are receiving a full-tuition scholarship.

Requesting a Deferral
Admitted domestic freshman students may request deferred enrollment for one year by completing the Freshman Request for Deferred Enrollment.

Connections Program Fact Sheet (PDF)
Open to Wisconsin residents, this program allows students to complete their initial coursework at one of 20 partner schools before transitioning to UW–Madison to complete their degree. Connections Program students have access to campus resources and student services at UW–Madison while at their home institution. Students who have either been invited, or who chose to opt-in to the Connections Program, must complete and sign the fall 2017 Program Agreement (PDF) by May 1 to participate.

International Student Resources

Overview for International Students
Find out if you should apply as a freshman or transfer student, see the English language requirements, learn about financing your education, and find important visa information.

Obtaining Your Student Visa
Read about obtaining your student visa to learn more about what to expect next to secure your visa.

I-20 Process FAQs
Read through our most frequently asked questions about the I-20 process.

Financial Verification Form (PDF)
If you need an F-1 or J-1 student visa to study in the United States, UW–Madison is required by federal regulations to verify that you have sufficient funds on deposit for your tuition, fees, and living expenses. Please read the Instructions for Submitting the Financial Verification (PDF).

Student Visa Information and Mailing Form
Complete the form and include a photocopy of the pages in your passport that show your identity and full legal name.

Credit Policies

Advanced Placement (AP)
We award college credit to students with exam scores of 3, 4, or 5. To earn AP credit, students must have their official AP grade report sent directly to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment from the College Board. Our AP code is 1846.

International Baccalaureate (IB)
Results of IB examinations are evaluated for academic credit. Advanced standing credit is awarded for scores of 4–7 on the exams. Students who receive an IB Diploma with a minimum score of 28 are eligible for 3 additional elective credits. IB transcripts must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment from the International Baccalaureate Organization.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP allows students who have gained knowledge through independent study, advanced high school courses, noncredit adult courses, or professional development to take examinations for possible college credit. Students must earn a minimum score of 65 and take CLEP exams before completing 16 semester hours of college credit in order to receive credit.

Counselor Resources

Access the Online Recommendation Form
Recommenders for students who apply using the UW System Application can submit letters using our online recommendation form. If the applicant for which you are writing the recommendation used the Common Application, we encourage you to use that system to complete the recommendation.

Counselor Information Requests
Make sure your contact information is on file with our office so we can provide you with a Counselor Update each semester.