Information for Adult Students

UW–Madison defines an adult student as someone who is 25 years of age or older. Students who wish to take courses at UW–Madison but are not pursuing a degree should direct their questions to Adult Career and Special Student Services.

An applicant who wants to pursue an undergraduate degree and has not earned college credits is considered a freshman student. An applicant who previously attended college at either a community college or a different university is considered a transfer student. Someone who was previously enrolled at UW–Madison as an undergraduate, but did not complete a degree, is considered a reentry student.

We encourage applicants who have been away from formal classroom teaching for an extended period to request a letter of recommendation from someone who can speak to their academic potential, such as an employer (preferably a supervisor or manager), a program or departmental trainer, or some other individual in an official instructional capacity.