Information for Veterans

The University of Wisconsin–Madison assists eligible veterans, active duty service personnel, disabled veterans, reservists, National Guard Members, and dependents with state and federal education benefit programs.

We welcome applications from veterans and military personnel, and currently have more than 400 student veterans receiving education benefits at UW–Madison.

All veteran applicants must submit a complete application for admission. The application review process parallels that of other freshman and transfer applicants. Ultimately, student veterans are expected to cover required course work at a level of achievement similar to that noted on our general freshman and transfer admission requirements and expectations webpages.

Applicants can also contact the Veteran Services and Military Assistance Center in the Registrar's Office to receive assistance with questions and paperwork. This is where you enroll for your GI Bill® education benefits. Please note: Students must be admitted to the university in order to qualify for veteran education benefits.

Freshman Admission

If you are getting out of the service or have already separated from the service and have not yet taken any college courses, you should apply directly to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. Review the Freshman Admission section of the website to learn more about expectations and deadlines.

It is important to note that veterans are expected to meet the minimum academic course preparation guidelines, including two years of the same foreign language and at least one year each of algebra, geometry, and advanced math. Veteran applicants must also submit results from either the SAT or ACT.

Veterans who do not meet minimum freshman admission expectations and/or who did not have a successful high school career are encouraged to consider enrolling at one of the 13 UW Colleges freshman/sophomore campuses or another two-year community college with a liberal arts transfer program. Upon successfully completing at least 24 semester hours of appropriate college-level course work, student veterans may then apply for transfer admission to UW–Madison.

Transfer Admission

If you are a veteran and have previously taken college courses at another institution, you should apply as a transfer student. Review the Transfer Admission section of the website to learn more. You will need to have completed the following required course work to apply:

  • Algebra: One year in high school
  • Plane Geometry: One year in high school (cannot be modified, basic, or informal)
  • College-Preparatory Math: One year in high school
  • Single Foreign Language: Two years of the same language in high school or two semesters of the same language in college

Reentry Admission

Students who are deployed to active service while enrolled at UW–Madison and wish to return to the university following their active military duty do not need to reapply for admission. Activated students who wish to reenter the university should contact the Veteran Services and Military Assistance Center for more information.

Letter of Recommendation

We encourage veterans, active military service personnel, or other applicants who have been away from formal classroom teaching for an extended period to request a letter of recommendation from someone who can speak to their academic potential. This could be an employer (preferably a supervisor or manager), a program or departmental trainer, a commanding officer, or some other individual in an official instructional capacity.

Military Credit

The University of Wisconsin-Madison thanks you for your service and in many cases can award transfer credit for education you received while in the military. Evaluation of transfer credit adheres to the guidelines in the Joint Statement on the Transfer and Award of Credit developed by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), and the American Council on Education (ACE). Transfer credit may include direct course equivalencies and/or departmental electives for work that is similar in nature, level, and content to a course in our undergraduate curriculum. However, the majority of military credit will transfer as general electives and may not reduce your time to degree. A large number of general electives could negatively impact your financial aid eligibility and your admission to competitive programs with credit limits.

  • Joint Services Transcript (JST):Associate or baccalaureate level academic credit from the JST will be awarded based on American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations and on the nature, level, and content as compared to a course in UW–Madison's undergraduate curriculum. To have your credits reviewed, please request an official copy of your Joint Services Transcript be sent to UW–Madison.
  • Community College of the Air Force (CCAF): Associate or baccalaureate level academic credit from the CCAF transcript will be awarded based on the nature, level, and content as compared to a course in UW–Madison's undergraduate curriculum.
  • Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC): Up to 16 credits will be awarded for sequential course work in a world language. Language courses of an applied or functional nature will not receive credit.
  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP): Credit is granted for an exam score of 65 if the examination was taken before the student completed 16 semester hours of college credit (review our CLEP Credit Guide for more details).
  • DANTES Standardized Subject Tests (DSST): We do not award transfer credit for DSSTs.

Financial Aid

Some veterans attending UW–Madison rely on sources of financial aid beyond that provided by their veteran education benefits. For more information on financial aid and scholarships, contact the UW Office of Student Financial Aid.

Campus Resources

Be sure to contact the following offices if you have any questions regarding your application process, financial aid, or transition to campus:

Office of Admissions and Recruitment
702 West Johnson Street, Suite 1101

State and Federal Veteran Education Benefits
Veteran Services and Military Assistance Center
333 East Campus Mall, #10301

Student Veteran Organization
Veterans, Educators, & Traditional Students (VETS)
333 East Campus Mall #3136

Financial Aid
Student Financial Aid
333 East Campus Mall, #9701